Friday, September 21, 2007

MMR & Autism

Ok, the thing about the Oprah show was Jenny McCarthy was on and some other celebrity and they both have boys with Autism. Anyway, Jenny McCarthy's boy is now 5 and has 'recovered' mostly. Which I couldn't believe, because I didn't know you COULD recover from Autism. Anyway, she said she put him on a Gluten free dairy free artificial flavoring free diet and said that his language doubled in 2 weeks. Crazy. But the big deal about the whole show was that her and this other celebrity said that their 'motherly instincts' just tell them that the Autism has something to do with the MMR shot they got when they were 1 yrs old. So now I'm sure that there's 100's of 1,000's of mommies watching this getting all geared up to refuse the MMR shot and demand answers from the CDC.
Well, I asked the Pediatrician that Bryan is working with and she said that they've done lots of studies in Europe where they've actually quit giving the MMR and the rate of Autism actually went up. I just feel like the rate of Autism that is being diagnosed is scary especially since nobody knows what's causing it. It just seems like because we live in the 21st century we should have answers for everything.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Autism really does freak me out, because you can't diagnose it for a few years and then what do you do? I have never heard of someone overcoming it either. I hope my boys are okay. I do worry about Autism a lot.