Thursday, October 30, 2008

Most Important

The most important issues to me in this election are:

Abortion & gay marriage.

The other issues - health insurance, the economy, energy... they're too complex to really understand whose plan means what and what is best. I don't think anybody REALLY knows what to do. They're all just blowing smoke trying to get elected. At least with abortion and marriage I know exactly where I stand and where they stand. I cannot in good conscience vote for someone who has a better energy plan yet advocates abortion, gay marriage, and increasing awareness of emergency contraception.

What is most important to you?
Directly from McCain's website:
"John McCain believes Roe v. Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned,...
...However, the reversal of Roe v. Wade represents only one step in the long path toward ending abortion. "

"John McCain believes the institution of marriage is a union between one man and one woman. It is only this definition that sufficiently recognizes the vital and unique role played by mothers and fathers in the raising of children, and the role of the family in shaping, stabilizing, and strengthening communities and our nation."


Directly from Obama's website:

"
Barack Obama understands that abortion is a divisive issue, and respects those who disagree with him. However, he has been a consistent champion of reproductive choice and will make preserving women's rights under Roe v. Wade a priority as President. He opposes any constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court's decision in that case."

"Barack Obama is an original co-sponsor of legislation to expand access to contraception, health information and preventive services to help reduce unintended pregnancies. Introduced in January 2007, the Prevention First Act will increase funding for family planning and comprehensive sex education that teaches both abstinence and safe sex methods. The Act will also end insurance discrimination against contraception, improve awareness about emergency contraception, and provide compassionate assistance to rape victims."

I could not find a direct statement on Obama's website regarding gay marriage but here is a clip of Biden on Ellen talking about it... (thanks A)



And check out "America's Choice Now" for a short clip of interviews of both McCain and Obama on where they stand on abortion. Quite a powerful ending...
(thanks Fran)

3 comments:

Anjanette said...

wow. that america... video was a little much for me. I can't get over how much I don't like Obama (more & more every day, it seems).

Kaisa Bailey said...

amen Marie. McCain supports morals, that's all it comes down too.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Obama could go back in time and watch his mother decide to abort him, if he would support it...