Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving in Savannah

Yes, we went to Savannah, Georgia for Thanksgiving this year. It was fantastic. Since Marmi and Pappa ('Little Women' lingo) are 2,600 miles away we had Thanksgiving with our Florida family... Regi, Dylan, Reese, Keri, Shawn & Savannah.

In this picture we are at none other than Paula Dean's famous "Lady & Sons" restaraunt. If you're at all into cooking you know who this is...
She's as Southern as they come and so is her cooking. Every item on our Thanksgiving plate had a stick of butter in it. It was awsome. She was actually there at the store IN PERSON! I figure I'm pretty cool because as I was peeping through the window of her store to gawk she waved at me.

Here's Regi and Keri doing their own peeping trying to get a wave of their own. ( :

You might think that would be the extent of our 'paparazzi' personality but Keri had a stalker side of her I never knew about... Dying to get a picture with Paula Dean to put in her cookbook (who wouldn't?), here's Keri wedging her way through the crowd to be next to Paula (who didn't quite acknowledge). The reason why I am laughing out loud at this very moment is thinking about how Keri is smiling and posing for the camera as if Paula Dean had her arm around her doing the same. It's really crackin' me up.


We stayed in the fantastic Hilton Garden Inn that was blocks away from the Riverwalk. Savannah, GA is timeless... authentic... freakin' awsome. Old buildings (very old), haunted taverns, mammoth oak trees. The place is so old I could practically see horse and carriages clopping around on the cobblestone streets. From a secret history buff's point of view... this place was 'to die for'.

Of course, not to be enjoyed to it's full extent with an almost 3 year old and an almost one year old. Why do I always forget that adult vacations with little tiny children are an incongruency? A big one. Extremely delicious and expensive food and nap time do not mix. Nice, fancy hotel rooms and up all night as well as 6:30am do not mix. Bedtime at 7pm and going out to dinner do not mix. Stopping to stare at old buildings and two year olds do not mix. One of the best vacations I've had is when Bryan and I took the boys to Orlando, stayed in the Radisson... nap, eat, swim. Happy kids = happy mommy = happy daddy.

I love my friends. I'm so glad we took this adventure. It will never be forgotten and I have pictures to prove it. Such a fun Thanksgiving. I'm going to put Keri's stalker picture in my cookbook so I can laugh everytime I open it.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

OH MY GOSH! Am I the most jealous woman on the planet OR WHAT???? I am dying to eat there. Even Perry wants to go for her signature fried chicken. My mom and sister are going to a book signing of hers next Saturday in California. I told them to get a book signed for me! I am so excited that you got to go to such a grand place for Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just telling Daniel that I wanted to go to Savannah, Georgia, for a vacation and he gave me the you're-weird-why-would-you-want-to-go-there look. You can tell him for me. You'll have to tell me all about it!

Heidi said...

SO FUN!!! What a wonderful Thanksgiving, I love it!!!

lynsey said...

looks like you had a lot of fun! we had an enrichment a couple of months ago where one member cooked for the RS in 'paula dean' style. she was hilarious & said she was just waiting for paula dean's arteries to clog so she could take over. hey what happened to the book club? where did you go? contribute!

Mary C. said...

OK! So I don't get on anyone's blog very often, but I got the chance to check yours out this morning. Too fun! Loved the Paula Deen info, the music (can't go wrong with John Williams and Christmas in the same package), the awesome photos and the "tagged" info. It was all so great! Hopefully, I'll get on here again before a year from now. :) Miss you!